Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Writing


October 10, 2018

It’s not always easy, but I like doing it, shaping sentences, wresting words from my mind till they conform to my bidding, telling a story, illuminating a familiar scene till it glows with a new light conveying hidden truth that’s been waiting to be revealed in subtle splendor. It takes time though, and time is often in short supply around here. 

Nothing worth doing gets accomplished in spare time. Rather, time is carved out of busy schedules; other tasks are relegated to positions of lesser importance. Priorities are rearranged. Discipline dictates doing it whether or not one is in the mood. Writing is like that. I don’t always feel like writing, but when I see words, sentences, and paragraphs that weren’t there moments before dancing across the page or screen to the rhythm I created, a contented satisfaction rises up within me. 


Christian theology tells us that we are made in the image of God, but while the Scriptures affirm this, they don’t explicitly tell us what that means. I believe that in part, it means that in human creativity, we mimic that of the Original Creator, and like God himself, as I write I create something out of nothing; ex nihilo, as the Church Fathers put it. I’ve been developing a story idea for about a month now, but unsure of how to begin, I haven’t really done much with it. Like most endeavors, there isn’t a perfect time, so today I began. I am thankful to be able to do what I do and hopeful that when done, it will have some value in telling the Redemption story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment