Sunday, October 28, 2018

Camoflauge Men


October 28, 2018

Today was “Camo Sunday” at Park church, where everyone was invited/encouraged to wear camouflage to church. I don’t recall the reason, other than Pastor Joe is an avid hunter, as are many of our members. It was quite an experience walking into church this morning! Jerry greeted us dressed from head to toe in camo, and even had his face painted. Husband and wife team of Fred and Linda were wearing their winter camo, complete with head gear. All you could see of them were their eyes. And our son wore his ghillie suit. For the uninitiated, a ghillie suit completely covers the wearer in what looks like weeds, grass, and twigs. It’s what snipers wear to keep from being seen.

I don’t own any camo, but I had the perfect solution. I have to leave Park church’s worship halfway through the service in order to get to Dunkirk in time to lead worship there, so I texted my son Matt the following message with instructions to pass it along as Joe would be commenting on all the camo at church: “Joe, I slipped out during Nate’s prayer to put on my camo. You can’t see me. Pretty good, I’d say!”

It was all harmless fun, and I can say this: Park church has a greater percentage of men worshipping and working together than any church I’ve ever seen. It’s not about camo; it is about making church accessible to men, a place where they feel they fit.

It’s all gotten me to thinking. Why are so many men wearing spiritual camo these days? They just can’t be seen. Church programs are invariably geared towards women. Bible studies, often the music, even the decor shouts “This place is for women only!” Churches have men’s programs, but they are usually pretty poorly attended compared to the women’s offerings. 

It wasn’t always this way. Church history is filled with stories of courageous men who “through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens...others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection; Others had trial of cruel mocking and beatings, of bonds and imprisonment: they were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain the the sword; they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, tormented...(Hebrews 11:33-37)

The Church has no shortage of heroes, but if you look at most American churches today, you wouldn’t know it. David Murrow even wrote a book about it entitled, “Why Men Hate Going to Church.” A few years ago, I attended a Promise Keepers event in Cleveland. Various Christian publishers were there promoting their products. I approached one of them with a question.

“Most of the men’s programming I’ve seen is produced by large churches or organizations that are primarily upper Middle Class. It’s academic in nature. My men are blue collar. They read, but usually only the newspaper and technical manuals for their work. I need men’s resources that are apprenticeship based instead of academic based.”

The vendor looked at me like I had two heads. “Nobody’s ever asked me that before.”


“Well, I’m asking,” I replied. Predictably, he had nothing to offer. And just like me this morning, in most churches, the men are wearing camo. I don’t know the answer, other than it’s not going to be found in a packaged program where men sit around tables discussing the Bible in an academic setting. Men’s discipleship happens when men get together around a project or mission to which they can give themselves even if they aren’t good readers. Years ago, I had decided that when I retired, I would work on putting together a viable approach to men’s ministry that leaned more on apprenticeship models than academic ones. I tried retiring, but it didn’t last long. Next time I retire, I’m going to dig into this. Until then, I’m praying into it, thankful for what little insight I’ve been given into all this, and looking forward to the opportunity to actually try to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment