Thursday, October 18, 2018

Gusher


October 18, 2018

How we invest is important. My father used to tell the story of a friend of his who invested in Haloid stock back in the forties. It wasn’t much money, but when Haloid became Xerox, dad’s friend made a LOT of money. Dad would say, “If only I knew...” Of course, his friend didn’t know, either, but he made the decision and took the risk. He could have been investing in a dry well, in which case things would have turned out much differently for him.


How we invest in life makes a difference. People throw everything they have into sports, making money, religion, drugs or alcohol, power and fame, all of which are like the proverbial dry well. We’ve all done it; invested in stuff that paid precious little in return. Today I made good investments. Early morning prayer with a group of men who have become like brothers to me, then time with my elderly mother before taking granddaughter Abi out to an early dinner. A two-hour mad dash for home so I could watch granddaughter Jo’s volleyball game was followed by a late dinner with her. Best of all was the time spent listening to their hearts. Linda is usually the girls’ sounding board, but today it was my turn. I can’t say how it was for them, but for me, today’s well was a gusher.

No comments:

Post a Comment