Thursday, October 4, 2018

Magnificat

October 4, 2018

Yesterday morning’s Scripture reading was a bit out of sync with the liturgical calendar. It will be another two months before Advent, and another four weeks before Christmas, but the story of Christ’s coming is never out of season. I’ve preached through these texts in Matthew and Luke dozens of times over the years, and have never gotten tired of them. In my Baptist years, I knew nothing of Advent; Christmas sort of sprang up out of nowhere, just after Thanksgiving. Even the stores didn’t bring out Christmas stuff till then. 

I love Luke’s account of the angelic appearance to the shepherds and the Baby lying in a manger. Matthew’s recollection of Herod’s murderous schemes and the Magi’s thwarting of them is as full of drama as one can get. But as the years go by, I am more an more captivated by the beauty of Mary’s Magnificat with its humble amazement at having been chosen to bear the Son of God, and her recognition that God’s favor upon her, a poor peasant girl, is a foretaste of his greater plan to upend and overturn the systems of this world by exalting the lowly and sending the rich away empty.

My grandfather was suspicious of anything that smacked of Catholicism; we were after all, Fundamentalists. Instead of being exalted, Mary was ignored, as was her wonderful song of praise. I’m not ready to venerate her, but gladly give her the honor due her for these words of blessing and prophecy that speak of a better day to come. In particular, her opening words are worth hearing: “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.” 


Grammar is important. Before she could magnify God, she had to rejoice in him and his salvation. Too often we try to give a good witness before we’ve invested ourselves in the joy of our salvation. No wonder people often believe our witness is forced and manipulative! If we don’t first get our hearts right with God, we can’t really help people see him more clearly (which is what magnifying him does: we don’t make God bigger; we just make it easier for people to see him). Mary got it right, and shows us how we can, too. I am thankful tonight for Mary and her song. I know nothing of the melody, but the lyrics are timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment