Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Who Needs Jesus?


October 17, 2018

Who needs Jesus the most? 

He was parking his bicycle as I opened the door. Somehow, he managed to get into line ahead of me, ordering a small coffee which he took to a table in the back where he sat staring out the window. I’ve seen him there before, long dreadlocks flowing from beneath his Jamaican style colorful woven hat over the collar of his tattered Buffalo Bills coat. A few pounds lighter, and I’d think he was Bob Marley resurrected. 

I paid for my breakfast—Tim’s “Two for Four”—bagel, egg, sausage, cheese, and a coffee before picking out a table where I could work as I ate. I couldn’t get him out of my mind any more than I could get him out of sight, so I picked up my Bible and breakfast and walked over to his table.

“Mind if I join you?” He didn’t say no, so I sat down and asked if he had had breakfast. He hadn’t, so I offered him the other bagel. He just sat there saying not a word. When I finished mine, I motioned to the other. “Save it for later,” I said. He thanked me as I left. He appeared to have some mental health issues.

She sat on the other side of the coffee shop working at her MacBook. She was young and pretty, an hourglass figure poured into a tight sweater and pale green tights that had they been tan, it would have been hard to tell if she were wearing any at all. She swayed her way over to pick up her order, and as she turned back toward her table, the young man waiting for his order looked my way with an expression that clearly indicated he’d like to see more of her.

So, who needs Jesus the most? It’s not a trick question, but it is easy to get it wrong. Shabby clothes and mental health issues catch one’s attention, but a lot of broken hearts hide behind good looks and clothes. And that young man’s eyes don’t appear to be leading his heart towards holiness.


There’s another person in the story: me. Each one of us needs Jesus just as much as the other, but in different ways. I doubt if I’ll see the young woman and man next time I stop in for breakfast. “Mr. Marley” is another story. I’ve seen him there before, and probably will again. If so, I’ll offer him another breakfast and try to get him to talk. He no doubt has an interesting story to tell, and I’d like to hear it and maybe have the opportunity to bring Jesus into that story for a better ending. If so, I’ll thank God for the blessing even as I thank him today for the privilege of sharing breakfast with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment