Friday, October 19, 2018

Grumpy Angels

October 19, 2018

“Have you ever been a grumpy angel?” I didn’t know how to answer, but I needn’t have worried. My friend explained himself, telling how he had recently had a particularly busy day scheduled when he got a call from a veterinary friend needing some immediate help. She was supposed to drive her friend to the airport, but had an emergency call and needed someone to fill in for her. “She’s a friend; I said ‘yes,’ but wasn’t happy about it,” he explained. They arranged for him to meet at the church where he picked up his passenger and headed to Buffalo. Partway there, his passenger said he was an angel from God. “Right then, God turned things around for me, and I received a blessing,” he told me before repeating his question.

“Grumpy angel is my default,” I explained. We had been talking about how busy life has gotten, and I’ve found myself complaining quite a bit to no one in particular. Most of my busyness is the result of choices I’ve made, so it’s my own fault, but when those choices start chipping away at time for prayer and meditation, my inner self starts to get very disheveled and whatever good I may be doing comes from a grumpy heart.

I think that’s still better than acting out that inner grumpiness. Sometimes we have to act holy in order to be holy. People who only act according to their momentary feelings don’t know how to persevere or how to maintain healthy relationships. As my wife often says, “Sometimes you do it just because it’s the right thing to do.” Grumpy or not. The good news is, when we play the part of the grumpy angel, the angel part rubs off on us, often sending the grumpy part packing. 


I’m still busier than I really want to be, but this too, will pass. And when it does, I would rather hang out with the angel part of me than the grump. You would, too. And I’m also thankful for all the grumpy angels who have been a part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment