Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Tax Gratitude

April 16, 2015

Well, tax day has come and gone. It's usually an "Grrr" day; at least it has been for me. Living in New York State is not the happiest experience on April 15, since we have the highest taxes and cost of living in the nation, thanks to the downstate politicians who have apparently never seen a tax they don't like. But I've turned over a new leaf and am not complaining. Griping doesn't help, and I've learned it is actually a sin that hinders my walk with Christ by shifting my focus from him to whatever is irritating me at the moment. Anything that comes between the Christian and Christ is sin. So I'm not dwelling on how much money we're forking over to Washington and Albany (although I must admit, I growled a bit at first). Linda reminded me a couple weeks ago when we sent a couple thousand more in addition to the thousands we've already paid, that there are plenty of people who would happily pay our taxes if it meant they could have the income behind them. It was a good word that got me back on track, reminding me that in the Bible, complaining is forbidden.

Therefore, tonight I am grateful to be able to pay my taxes, even when I don't enjoy doing it. Sending in that check reminds me that my standard of living would be the envy of royalty of past generations. Henry VIII wouldn't have been able in his wildest dreams to imagine the conveniences I take for granted, and for which I give thanks this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment