Friday, April 17, 2015

Filling Prayers with Faith

April 17, 2015

This morning, I was reflecting on my prayer life, which often feels anemic and tepid. I think one of the reasons this is so is due to "Scripture-less" prayers. Romans 10:17 tells us that "faith comes...by the Word of God." If this is so, it follows that if Scripture isn't a central component of my prayers, faith cannot be present. And prayer without faith is futile, according to Hebrews 11:6 ("The one coming to God must first believe that he is(i.e. that God exists), and that he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him."). The faith, or expectation that God is there and will actually respond to prayer is a direct result of Scripture.

I suspect that faithless prayers are also a result of faithless living. If I never attempt anything that is impossible apart from God, I'll never pray and seek him with the necessary diligence; I won't give God the opportunity to demonstrate his power. Most of us live within the constraints of the ordinary, and while I like it's comfort, ordinary doesn't stir the soul or engender faith.

I must confess to have been feeling somewhat spiritually flatlined lately; my prayers have seemed somewhat blasé. But something is stirring within me I want to see the power of the Gospel to change lives. I don't want to live in the shadows. I want to bask even if only for a moment, in the full blaze of God's glory. My prayer is simply this: "Lord, give me your eyes, your heart, your mind, that I may see, love, and think as you do, for the salvation of the world." But here's my question: I've often prayed for God to reveal himself to me. So if the Holy Spirit dwells within us, what does that prayer really mean, and what will it's answer look like? What will the revelation of the God who resides within his people be like?

I suspect it goes back to Scripture-based prayer and faithful living. Prayers soaked in Scripture cannot help but move us to live more faith-fully, stepping out of our comfort zones because the Holy Spirit within us is on the move, requiring us to move also. I'm not sure where this will take me, but I am convinced that the adventure is far from over unless I bring it to a premature end by refusing to align myself with the activity of God. Repeatedly, Scripture testifies to the reality of answered prayer. I am determined to pray such prayers the answers to which cannot be ignored. I am through with weak, spineless, vague prayers that no one would be able to determine if they were answered because they were so innocuous. Tonight, I am thankful for times of reflection and for the Scriptures which in their own way and time, water my prayers with faith till the answers begin to sprout.

No comments:

Post a Comment