Wednesday, April 22, 2015

I'm Not Alone!

April 22, 2015

A couple weeks ago, our granddaughter Alex came down with some sort of rash. It looked like a bad case of hives, which might not have seemed problematic until a day or so later, her lips started to swell. Her mother has a severe allergic reaction to shellfish that can swell her throat tissues, making it hard to swallow or breathe, so this was nothing to ignore. We got a call in the middle of the night telling us that her dad was taking her to the emergency room. I took the call on my cell phone that I keep on the nightstand by our bed, and in the dark and my sleepy state, I set it down in the cup of tea that I hadn't finished earlier. It was past time to replace it anyhow.

Today, I had an appointment with my audiologist for a hearing test. For about a month now, everything has sounded muffled, like my head was under a pillow (You can spare me the snide remarks; I've probably thought of most of them anyhow). A week ago my left hearing aid quit altogether, and the right one is just barely hanging on. Before I can get them replaced, we needed the test as a present benchmark to see how much my hearing has changed since the last test eight years ago. I tell you this to say, "I have an excuse." I am often the butt of family jokes when at the dinner table I ask a question that has just been discussed. Turns out, I missed the conversation except for perhaps a word or two that must have sparked something in my subconscious. As I say, this happens all the time.

Monday night we gave Al a ride home from church. It was only a short hop from the church to their house, but we had enough time to ask about her medical situation. Al told us that although she was much better, her throat still felt itchy and sore, whereupon Linda asked, "And how does that feel?" Al in the back seat, and I in the driver's seat simultaneously looked at Linda and began to laugh. I think I laughed the loudest. It felt good to know I'm not the only one who asks dumb questions, but even better to know that I'm the only one to have an excuse. Obviously, not everything I'm thankful for is spiritual, but that doesn't make me any less thankful tonight. In fact, I'm pretty happy just thinking about it. Linda however, may not be, when she wakes up in the morning and reads this for herself. I'm either brave or stupid, but I'll risk it.

No comments:

Post a Comment