Saturday, April 18, 2015

Fifty Years of Memories

April 18, 2015

Fifty years is a long time. Or not. Tonight we joined family and friends to celebrate Barb and Gary's fiftieth wedding anniversary. For those who may not know, Barb is Linda's sister. On the way over to the Nickel, Linda and I talked about fifty years. We will celebrate our 45th in June; years before, we couldn't imagine what 45 years together would be like; now we can't remember what being single was like. And yet it doesn't seem like that long. Yesterday I was talking with Linda's aunt Kayla, who is working hard to regain her strength so she can trade the nursing home for her own. She is in her eighties, but I remember when she and Linda's mom ran the Train Station restaurant in Warren. I told her of an encyclopedia salesman who came to my door perhaps thirty years ago. He was in his sixties, but as we talked, he drew his hand across his neck and said, "From here up, I'm still eighteen."

I remember staying overnight at my grandparents when I was a boy, and thinking how old they were. Today I'm older by at least ten years than they were when I stayed with them, and it doesn't seem old at all. The only thing that gives us away is our wrinkles and weariness. And our music. We bought Gary and Barb tickets to a Beach Boys concert for their anniversary gift, and tonight we talked with one of their granddaughters, who only vaguely knew who they were. "This was OUR music," we told them. Of course, only one of the originals is still alive. On my birthday this summer, the Rolling Stones will be in concert at the Ralph in Buffalo. That the four of them are still alive (although we're not sure about Keith Richards; he's looked more dead than alive for about the last fifteen years) is pretty amazing, considering all the stuff they've put into their bodies over the decades. They are all in their seventies, and Mick is still prancing around like a teenager. I think I'll pass on their concert.

So here we are, along with Barb and Gary, sharing a lifetime together. Not many families can recall common memories that go back that far. we are blessed to be able to do so, for which I am thankful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment