Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Praiseworthy Body Language

April 8, 2015

As I left visiting my friend Rick in the hospital, the attendant in the garage ramp bid me a good day, to which I thought, "Any day I'm on the outside of a hospital is a good one." It's true. At times I've struggled to come up with something worth writing about in the evening; talking about my blessings is redundant, and to those who haven't been similarly blessed, I imagine it can feel like a slap in the face. And if I'm not careful, I can become somewhat cavalier about the blessings, almost taking them for granted. Today, seeing my friend unable to speak or move his right arm due to a stroke, I am aware of the fragility of life, and of how precious is the ability to move, to communicate, to be to some measure in control of one's own body. These are gifts denied to many. The day comes for all of us when our bodies will fail, and finally cease to support the spirit within.

When that day comes, we Christians have the hope and promise of God, rooted in the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, of our own resurrection to a bodily life that is more full and vibrant than anything we have known here. Our gratitude is thus not contained within the confines of our body's well-being, but stretches towards that which we can at present only imagine.

This evening, Linda and I attended the dress rehearsal for Panama school's musical, "Mary Poppins." Due to the prison ministry to which I had previously committed, when Panama rescheduled their musical, I was presented with a dilemma. Three of our granddaughters are in the play, with Izzi having her debut in a leading role, which I was determined not to miss. Fortunately this option was available to me, so I am able to keep my earlier commitment. Watching the kids sing and dance, I am always impressed by minds that can memorize lines and sing them while completing intricate dance moves. Our bodies and minds are amazing gifts of God, usually capable of far more than we demand of them. I am grateful tonight for that which God has given to me, and to these young people. They sang, acted, and danced well, which is in itself a gift of, and to God. And I got to see it all. I am truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment