Sunday, November 28, 2021

The Holy City

 November 28, 2021

Advent has come. We think of it as the buildup to Christmas, a looking forward to the day while looking backward to what it commemorates. Historically however, the Advent Scriptures point not backward to Christ’s first Advent, but to his Second Coming, his Second Advent. 


This is reflected in many of the Christmas Carols so familiar to many of us. “It Came Upon the Midnight Clear” for example, has these words:


For lo! the days are hastening on, 

by prophet seen of old, 

when with the ever-circling years 

shall come the time foretold 

when peace shall over all the earth 

its ancient splendors fling, 

and the whole world send back the song 

which now the angels sing.



Similarly, “Angels from the Realms of Glory” has for it’s fourth and fifth verses, 


Saints, before the altar bending,
watching long in hope and fear,
suddenly the Lord, descending,
in his temple shall appear.

Though an infant now we view him,
he shall fill his Father's throne,
gather all the nations to him;
every knee shall then bow down.


When I was a mere boy, there was a man in our church who had a beautiful Irish tenor voice and would occasionally sing a solo. I only remember two songs in his repertoire, but can still in my mind see him at the pulpit, a head crowned with wavy black hair, singing words which at first seem to have little to do with Christmas, but which I heard again yesterday in a concert led by Andre Rieu, entitled, “The Holy City.” It’s lyrics are as follows: 


Last night I lay sleeping

There came a dream so fair

I stood in old Jerusalem

Beside the temple there

I heard the children singing

And ever as they sang

Methought the voice of Angels

From Heaven in answer rang


"Jerusalem, Jerusalem!

Lift up you gates and sing

Hosanna in the highest

Hosanna to your King!"


And then methought my dream was chang'd

The streets no longer rang

Hush'd were the glad Hosannas

The little children sang

The sun grew dark with mystery

The morn was cold and chill

As the shadow of a cross arose

Upon a lonely hill


"Jerusalem, Jerusalem!

Hark! How the Angels sing

Hosanna in the highest

Hosanna to your King!"


And once again the scene was chang'd

New earth there seem'd to be

I saw the Holy City

Beside the tideless sea

The light of God was on its streets

The gates were open wide

And all who would might enter

And no one was denied

No need of moon or stars by night

Or sun to shine by day

It was the new Jerusalem

That would not pass away


"Jerusalem! Jerusalem

Sing for the night is o'er

Hosanna in the highest

Hosanna for evermore!


The lyrics alone cannot convey the majesty and power of this song. Suffice it to say I was moved to tears at hearing it once more after all these years. As with Advent itself, it took me back and pointed me forward at the same time. The older I get, the more poignant I find death to be. I grew up in a middle-class suburban household. Most such people in our country don’t have to think deeply about such matters, but each year brings me closer to the finish line, and melodies and lyrics like this bring into focus the significance of our faith. 


People are once more trembling before the threat of another round of covid, of inflation and supply chain issues. The media is stoking the flames of fear, but I stand tonight with St. Paul who said, “For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” I’m in no hurry to get to the end, but I’m also in no fear of it, for as the song says, “All who would light enter, and no one was denied.” One day, I will. Until then, each day is a gift treasured, for which I give thanks tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment