Thursday, November 4, 2021

Bad News, Good News

November 4, 2021


Yesterday I was reflecting on 2 Kings 20 and the story of Hezekiah, with the thought that sometimes bad news can become good news and good news can become bad news. I spent the better part of today on the road, driving to N. Carolina to see my brother in law, giving me lots of time to think and pray. For some reason, I had a hard time formulating thoughts for prayer, but I did think a lot, and it occurred to me that there is more to that good news/bad news mantra than I first thought.


In the story of Hezekiah, the first bad news was given by God, who changed it to good news. Hezekiah took that good news and turned it into bad news. Isn’t that the way it usually happens? God takes bad news and makes it good, while we take the good news and make it bad. 


God took the bad news of my sins and made it good news when I responded to the Gospel with repentance and faith. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve taken advantage of that good news and played fast and loose with it, turning it into the bad news of forgetfulness, sin, and rebellion. It seems I don’t have the capacity to keep the Good News good news. The good news is however, that my bad news is no match for the expansive and glorious Good News of Jesus Christ. No matter how often I’ve misused the good news, making bad news of it, God never fails to take that bad news and once more make good news of it. That IS Good News!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment