Friday, November 26, 2021

Fearing God

 November 26, 2021

“The LORD takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his mercy.” —Psalm 147:11


When I was a young man sitting before the Board of Ordained Ministry, a question arose about something I had written in the required theological papers. Having spoken about fearing God, one of the examiners interpreted my words by saying, “I think what Jim means is having respect for God.” 


I strenuously objected. “That’s not what I meant! When I talk about fearing God, I’m speaking of a shaking in your boots terror!” The glances around the room made me wonder if I would be approved. I was, but I’m not sure I was ever fully trusted after that.


I’ve had only one or two such experiences, but they were enough to not want more. I understand Peter’s heart when after a record catch of fish he said, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man!” He understood he was in the presence of someone dangerous. We’ve gentrified Jesus till he is like a fishing buddy instead of Lord of Lords and King of Kings.


The psalmist understands the fear of the Lord as the Bible presents it, not as we want it to be. Not content to let us invent our own definitions, he spells it out for us in the second phrase of this verse. Today, we would put an “i.e.” in between the two phrases. Fearing the LORD means hoping for mercy, knowing that it is not deserved, but completely necessary when unrighteous as we are, we stand before a holy God.


Fearing God isn’t about obeying him, although that may be one consequence of it. Our obedience is spotty at best, and if God’s pleasure in us is dependent upon it, we are in deep weeds. Fearing God means we know we deserve his wrath, and cast ourselves upon his mercy, which is our only hope. The Good News is that his pleasure in us is not predicated on the consistency of our obedience, but in the certainty of his mercy, poured out for us on the Cross of Jesus Christ, who died so we might live. For that mercy, I give thanks tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment