Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Emmett

 November 30, 2021

Emmett Waite succeeded me as pastor when I left my first church to attend seminary. Emmett was a retired Reformed pastor from the Hudson valley who brought a lifetime of wisdom to the church and to me. During the transition time, he showed up at our door one day holding a trivet. He had made it himself from a tile he had placed in a wooden frame. As he handed it to me, he said, “If you throw this to the floor at my feet, it will not change the affection with which I give it.”


Of course, I took it and treasured it for many years. Many moves later, I cannot say whatever became of it; Emmett long ago walked into the presence of his Lord and Savior, but that memory remains burned into my mind.


Gift giving is a two part process; there’s the giving, but there must also be the receiving for the transaction to be complete. It all breaks down if both parts are not present. This morning in my reading, I came across John 14:27, and it has been running through my mind all day. 


“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”


These words Jesus spoke to his disciples on the last night he would be with them in this life. They had followed as he taught and healed, confronted the religious leaders, and set his sights on Jerusalem and the Cross. They were trying to make sense of a situation that was barreling out of control and looked to become a disaster for him and them. They were understandably worried; then they heard these words. 


Notice that Jesus is offering them (and us) a gift—peace. The first part of the transaction is complete; he has offered. The question remains as to whether we will receive it. Whether we do or not, Jesus’ love for us will not change. If I am lacking peace, it’s not because it’s not available; it’s because I have refused to receive the gift, or if I’ve received it, instead of opening it, I’ve just let it sit in a corner, unopened, unused. 


We all say we want peace, but instead of actually taking Jesus at his word, we occupy our minds with all the things that rob us of our peace. God isn’t in the business of teasing us with a gift he has no intention of giving. If he offers it, it is available. If we don’t have what he offers, it’s because we haven’t believed him and haven’t reached out and taken hold of his gift. This gift of peace is continually before me. I chose to receive it, and choose again each day. I learned that from Emmett many years ago, and it has made all the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment