Friday, November 12, 2021

Normal

 November 12, 2021

Being away from home for two weekends, it feels like a lifetime since we’ve seen the grandkids. For most grandparents, this would be the norm; once or twice a year is not uncommon, except for us. Tonight is “Meema and Beepa Night,” when the ones still at home drift in throughout the evening till by 9:00, they are all here, sitting around the kitchen table or perched on the counter, talking, laughing, even dancing and singing.


Linda and I are blessed beyond measure. While we were in North Carolina, the tree service took down the dying ash behind the garage. I wish I could have watched as they lifted each section over the garage with a crane, depositing it beside the driveway. This afternoon I was chunking the logs. It was almost done when my saw seized up. Fortunately, Thomas had stopped by earlier, offering his saw if I needed it. At the time, I didn’t, but when I did, he was good on his word. His saw was a monster, making short work of the remaining logs. We loaded them into the bucket of the tractor and dumped them in a pile by the woodshed where they will wait till later this fall to be split and stacked. Small town life is good, with neighbors ready to help when needed.


Snow is forecast for tomorrow, so mounting snow tires will be in order, as will picking the last batch of grapes for juice. If all goes well, I’ll even get to wire the brake lights on my truck. 


A week ago this morning, my brother in law entered into the presence of Christ. His faith has been made sight, while we must still walk by it. He lives in the fullness of life, while his wife lives with a Dennis-shaped hole in her heart. Our lives are back to normal; she will struggle to figure out what normal looks like. I know our time will someday come, so am grateful for the normal we have been given thus far. Lord willing, tomorrow the sun will rise, signaling the beginning of another day. I will give thanks, and pray for those for whom the sun is obscured by clouds of grief, doubt, and fear. I will not be able to change anyone’s circumstances, but I can ask for grace, forgiveness, and strength, which God has in abundance and gives accordingly.


No comments:

Post a Comment