Tuesday, November 9, 2021

My Sins

 November 9, 2021

Critical Race Theorists who also claim the title of Christian have leveled an often legitimate complaint against how they perceive white male Christians interpret Scripture. Their issue is that we tend to see ourselves in the role of the righteous rather than as the sinner. For example, we identify more with the Good Samaritan than with the priest, the Levite, or even the robbery victim or the robbers themselves.


I suppose such a characterization has some merit, although I don’t think such an interpretation is limited to white male Christians. Most of us tend to see ourselves through rose-colored glasses. I must admit however, that for years I’ve read Romans 1 through those tinted lenses. 


Because the text ends with a scathing denunciation of some of the sexual sins prevalent in the day that are increasingly accepted and promoted by our present culture, and because those sins have never held much attraction to me, I’ve tended to keep these words at arm’s length and seen them as “other peoples’ problems.”


Reading through Romans again this morning, I saw the list took in a new light. I’ve never seen the attraction of homosexuality, and have never murdered anyone, but I am quite familiar with most of the rest of Paul’s list:


“…unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness… envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness…whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful;”

—Romans 1:29-31 


When in chapter 2 Paul says, “Therefore you are inexcusable…whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself for you who judge practice the same things,” I realize the Scriptures are pointing straight at me. It is all too easy for someone who has pretty much grown up in the church to see oneself as on the right side of all things spiritual, ethical, and moral, and overlook the sins that fit too easily in my own skin. 


God barreled through my defenses today, and reminded me once more of my absolute dependence upon grace. If my salvation were dependent on my goodness, I wouldn’t stand a chance, but Paul doesn’t stop with describing our condition. He moves on to the provision for our deliverance and forgiveness bought at the price of Jesus’ blood and our faith in him. 


It would be well for any who claim to be Christian to read again Paul’s words in Romans 1. It is a reminder of what I was, and what I would instantly be again, were it not for the continuing grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, for which I give thanks tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment