Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Longing for God

November 29, 2016

"One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple." Psalm 27:4

When I left the house this morning to have breakfast with my friend Willie, Linda was slumbering quietly in bed. It's not often that happens; she has lots of friends who often want to have breakfast with her, so she's usually up pretty early. Before heading out the door, I switched on the Christmas tree, plugged in the lights to her carolers on the mantle and the creche in the hallway, and lit the lights around the porch windows. Linda loves decorating for Christmas, and has a real knack for it. Cresting Airport hill, I became aware of a physical ache somewhere inside me, and realized it was my longing just to be in her presence. Three years ago we wondered how it would be for both of us to be retired. Would we grow tired of being together all the time? Turns out, I can't get enough time together.

The Scripture for this morning speaks of a similar longing to be in God's presence, a determined seeking him out just to be with him. It is an admirable sentiment, but I have to admit, my longing for God is not nearly as strong as my longing to be in the presence of my wife. I can't ever remember wanting God so much that I literally could feel the ache inside me. So, after all these years of being a Christian and a pastor, I still have a long way to go, and much to learn. My prayer tonight is that I would long for the presence of God as I long for the presence of my wife. That would make me very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment