Monday, November 21, 2016

Feeble Prayers, Faithful Provider

November 21, 2016

Through the years, I've listened to countless prayers that were offered with fervor and flowing speech, and silently wondered why my prayers and prayer life seemed so weak and small. I've been in prayer meetings where others prayed with such power that both the one praying and those around them were moved to tears, and remained silent because by comparison, my prayers lacked power and polish. I've read about the miracles accomplished through prayer and how the Spirit of God is unleashed only through prayer, and wondered if I've been more of a hindrance than a help for the Kingdom of God. If only I could pray better or more powerfully, perhaps greater things could have been accomplished. I can't claim hundreds who have been saved under my ministry, haven't seen teens or young adults enter Christian ministry under my tutelage, and wondered, "What more if I had been better at prayer?"

This morning I picked up a copy of the Guideposts magazine and opened to the section devoted to quotes from "today's positive thinkers," and read these words from Max Lucado: "Our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of prayer is in the one who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers do make a difference."

Let that soak into your parched soul. May it seep deeply into your heart with its refreshing truth. The power of prayer isn't in the one who prays, but in the one who hears. Even weak and feeble prayers heard by our Father have power. The little child who haltingly asks her father for help may be weak, but her father who loves her has power far beyond her own, and is willing, even eager to help. Be encouraged, O my soul! Be thankful, feeble heart! Your Heavenly Father hears your halting prayers and stands ready to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment