Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Unashamed

May 13, 2015

Those who follow such things will be either amused or embarrassed by my latest performance, but it was all for a good cause. These words could refer to any number of stunts I've done over the years. There was for example, the time, clothed in a black plastic garbage bag, white gloves, and shades, that I led half a dozen teenagers dancing down the aisle in church as the "Praisin' Raisins" sang and danced a Christian takeoff of Marvin Gaye's "Heard it on the Grapevine." Or the time I stuffed myself into a galvanized tub, wearing little more than a shower cap and shades, singing "Splish Splash" for our '50's Night. 

My latest performance took place this afternoon on the trampoline in our backyard, as Gemma wanted me to join her in singing and dancing to Frozen's "Let it Go!" I wasn't nearly as graceful as three-year-old Gemma; the rubber soles of my shoes stuck to the trampoline surface when I tried spinning around with her, so my spin wobbles like a drunken sailor. But we perfected our bow together and received hearty applause accompanying the raucous laughter from Linda and Jess.

Jesus said that unless we became like little children we couldn't enter the kingdom of God. Childlike, not childish, is the goal. Too many Christians are more childish than childlike. We have tantrums if we don't get our way, insist that others dote upon us, and want to play more than we want to learn. That's childish. Childlike however, is that exuberance, trust, and innocence that we see in a child's performance of a song and dance that has captured her heart. Years ago, after one of my crazy performances, a young man told me he could never do such a goofy thing, and asked how I could do it. My response was that when you know Christ, you don't have to impress anyone. Recently, I told someone that I've reached the age where I've little to lose, and nothing to prove. So I danced and sang with Gemma, who taught me everything I know about "Let it Go," and how to execute a proper bow. Today closes in gratitude for a little girl who holds my heart in her hands much as did her mother years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment