Sunday, May 3, 2015

A Gift of Music

May 3, 2015

It's not like I really NEED another instrument! Two guitars (one electric, the other acoustic), two banjos (a tenor and five string), an electric bass, two bassoons (one of which will soon be sold), and an alto saxophone already take up space in various nooks and crannies of our home. I've given away at least two guitars, sold another, and sold my beloved Selmer Mark VI tenor sax some years ago to help pay for our new church building. Musical instruments have always fascinated me. I've played all the above, or should I say I've played at them? Proficiency has never been my trademark. Let's face it: I'm a musical hack, playing for my enjoyment and everyone else's annoyance. Most of my instruments I've gotten on the cheap; I don't think I've ever paid full price for one, with the possible exception of my acoustic guitar.

So today before church as I was getting my bass ready for worship, Jenn came up and asked me if Greg had seen me yet. I answered in the negative, to which she replied, "I know you play the bassoon, and thought you might like our daughter's oboe. She hasn't played it since high school, and it's just been sitting in the basement." A few minutes later, Greg set a small black instrument case on the altar rail.

It's been a busy day working at the community dinner after worship, followed by pastor Joe's Gun Day Sunday shoot, which was a lot of noisy fun. Once home, it was time to clean the firearms, spend a some time with Linda, then to try out the oboe. Fortunately, fingering charts are readily available online and the basics are pretty straightforward. The oboe has a shrill, reedy sound that some find unpleasant. I rather like it, not quite as much as an English horn, but no one has given me one of those. The nice thing about the oboe is it's size. Every instrument I've ever played has been pretty big. The smallest is perhaps my old tenor banjo or the alto sax. But the tenor sax, bassoon, and bass aren't something you can toss in a suitcase or backpack. I could easily take this little baby with me and make music almost anywhere. No, I don't need it, but am grateful for the kindness of friends who know my love of music, and generously offer such a gift.

The Bible is full of music, from stringed instruments to trumpets, cymbals, and voice, all used in praise of our Maker and Redeemer. The Revelation tells of a new song only the redeemed can sing, accompanied by the harp. It's not uncommon for people to talk of angels' song at the birth of Christ and at the end of time when our salvation is made complete, but to my knowledge, there is nowhere in Scripture where angels are said to sing. They shout loudly and wholeheartedly praise the Lord, but do not sing, because in the Bible, the source and motive for singing is salvation. Since angels are not the subject of salvation, they have nothing of which to sing. We however, have through the blood of Christ been saved from sin, redeemed from slavery, and given a glorious future. So we sing, make melody, harmony, and rhythm, and give thanks to our glorious God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment