Sunday, May 24, 2015

Blessed Beyond Belief

May 24, 2015

How would it be possible to be more thankful than I am tonight? I had the privilege of preaching the Good News that no matter what the future has in store, with Jesus Christ we can face it confidently because he who loved us enough to die for us has promised to never leave or forsake us. Then a beautiful bike ride home (the ride to Frewsburg at 8 am was a bit chilly) to family dinner followed by a rousing baseball game in the side yard. We only had to fish the ball out of the creek three or four times! How many families get to do this kind of stuff together?

I had to unload the old Gravely off the truck so Linda could get a load of horse manure for the garden, and as long as it was back on the ground, I decided to give it one more shot at tilling. It still needed a little mechanical tinkering, so I tore into it, then at 5:15 it was on to SOTA (School of the Arts), where I taught bass to Abi, John, and Harley, in preparation for the youth leading worship next week. Home again, and back to the garden where I fired up the Gravely, and the rotary plow actually turned! This particular machine was the old 1948 model given me by Rich Thies. I gave it to Steve Carlson when we moved back to Sinclairville, since I didn't have a place to store it. It ran like a champ, but smoked so badly that at one point I looked down the lawn behind the house and actually thought someone had started a tire fire down the road. Over the entire back yard (all 2 1/2 acres of it) hung a blue pall. Two birds with one stone: till the garden and fog for mosquitoes!

The evening ended as Linda and I watched the annual National Memorial Day concert in Washington, DC, where tribute was given to the soldiers who have given so much for our freedoms. It was as always, a moving experience. Tomorrow will bring parades and services, followed by picnics and celebrations. May we not lose sight of the real reason for the day, honoring our veterans whose service has secured, and continues to secure our freedoms as Americans. Many live every day with pain and challenges I cannot imagine. Am I thankful tonight? You bet I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment