Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Lost and Found

May 5, 2015

It wouldn't have been a complete tragedy, but it would have made the next few weeks more difficult. I'm down to one hearing aid. The left one died a few weeks ago, and the right one appears to be on borrowed time. Last week I had an audiological test. In the past, that test would have been followed by my audiologist ordering the device she believes to be best for me, but for the first time, I now have insurance that partially covers hearing aids. Unfortunately, the insurance only works with certain specific providers, and my audiologist isn't one of them. The provider the insurance works with recommended a different brand device than my audiologist handles, so I'm stuck in between two providers, with a couple thousand dollars hanging in the balance. I'll make a decision before the week is out, so that's why losing my one remaining device this morning wouldn't have been tragic.

When I ride the bike, I remove my hearing aids. They tend to get knocked out of my ears if I leave them on while donning my helmet, so I take them out and put them in my pocket. Today, the remaining one must have popped out of my pocket while I was in the mall pondering a Mother's Day gift for Linda. I say that, because I had backtracked through four different stores and three parking lots before I managed to see it lying on the floor in front of a display rack. Thank you, Jesus!

It would only have been a couple weeks with everything sounding like my head is buried in a pillow, but I am grateful tonight that it fell out in the store next to a display, and not in middle of the mall where it could have been stepped on, or the parking lot where it could have been run over by a car. I'll be even more thankful when I have the new ones doing their job so I'm not always saying "huh?" when Linda or the grandkids are talking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment