Monday, May 18, 2015

Poison Ivy...Or Not

May 18, 2015

Two days. That's how long it took me to pull all the poison ivy growing along the creek bank in our back yard. The days have been hot and muggy, and dealing with poison ivy, even though the sweat ran down my forehead and into my eyes, I didn't dare wipe it away for fear of possibly spreading it all over my face. Both times I finished the day's work so soaked in sweat that the dirt clung like it was glued to my skin. I thought I had gotten it all Saturday evening, a big pile that filled a 30 gallon garbage bag. The day ended as I showered, scrubbing thoroughly and throwing my clothes in the wash to minimize any chance of contracting the rash.

When I reconnoitered today, to my dismay, I found more, enough to fill a 50 pound dog food bag. Alex' boyfriend Joseph stopped over and took to our lawnmower while I, donning heavy rubber gloves again, tugged and pulled. After a couple hours of hot, backbreaking work, I was just about finished when a little ditty popped into my head: "Red and three, let it be." I stopped everything, Googled it on my phone, and am delighted to report that I won't be getting poison ivy anytime soon. Turns out I spent two days pulling five-leaved Virginia Creeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment