Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Odd, Not Bad

March 23, 2015

Tonight was our first night of "Spring Fling," Park church's springtime (trust me on this!) vacation Bible school, my first as 'former pastor.' Pastor Joe was in full form, turning a few moments of down time into his version of Simon Says, chiming out, "Pastor Joe says, 'Touch your nose...'" The kids responded as on cue, touching noses, ears, elbows, and jumping up and down on one leg. With the exception of the nursery, all the teachers were from my kids' generation or younger. Linda was helping daughter Jessie in the kitchen, while I joined the men from our Monday night Bible study setting tables and putting mustard and catsup on hotdogs for the kids' supper (yes, we serve them supper as part of our VBS). The band was all teenagers except for Nate, who was leading from behind, as he had turned over lead singing to Jeremy Warzitz. John Thies was holding down bass, Emily Marsh on trumpet, Nate Maze on drums, and Harley Anderson on guitar and banjo. It was another one of those somewhat odd feelings as I watched John on bass, and as Joe was introduced to the kids as pastor, but odd isn't the same as bad. The torch has been passed, and Joe is running the race full bore. I don't know how to express the sense of satisfaction that comes with seeing the leadership securely in the hands of the next generation. It is what I worked for for the past thirty four years, and seeing it unfold before my very eyes fills me up inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment