Thursday, March 12, 2015

Color My World

March 12, 2015

Last year, a friend of mine moved from Western New York to Colorado. There's nothing unusual about that; smarter people than I have been moving from Western New York to other places for years, hoping to escape our obscene taxes or winter weather. This friend however, has the gall to post photos of his new surroundings, which are stunningly beautiful and invariably feature a shining sun and blue skies. I am sure he appreciates his new home, but I think I can say with relative certainty that no one appreciates a blue sky like a Western New Yorker. Today, the sun fairly glowed in the sky, painting the heavens with the most beautiful pastel blue, pristine in its clarity and brilliance.

I was driving to my mother's for a visit on this, my sister's birthday, reveling in the beauty of the snow covered fields yet unbroken by snowmobiles and glistening in the sunshine, a shining counterpoint to the skies above. As I drove, admiring the skies, I began to wonder about color itself. I know science tells us that white light is comprised of all the colors of the rainbow, and that pigments simply absorb the light of every color except that which they display, but that doesn't account for the existence of color itself. If we lived in a black and white world, how would we ever conceive of the various colors with which we are familiar? That God imagined color and created it is no wonder; he is, after all, God. Science tells us also that there are colors visible to certain animals which we cannot see. Today, I saw the blue of the sky, and wondered what possessed God to make such beauty other than he is a lover of beauty. And I wondered what colors are yet to be seen when we receive our resurrection bodies.

I cannot fathom the glory of it all, even as I cannot imagine hearing sounds that now are too low or high for our ears to hear, but which our dog Emma knows quite well, or scents that make her nose twitch, but are completely unnoticed by me. This much I do know; if this fallen world still retains such beauty, that world yet to come will be immeasurably more wonderful. I'm in no hurry to leave this world, but I am certainly looking forward to seeing those unimaginable colors and hearing those unknown sounds. And I'm thankful today to have witnessed a glimpse of glories yet to be revealed by the God who is himself light, and who by the sound of his voice, brought this world into being.

No comments:

Post a Comment