Wednesday, March 25, 2015

I Can Always Pray

March 25, 2015

Recently, I've been made aware of some of the difficulties certain Christian friends of mine are facing. One person talked with me concerning a health issue that I never would have suspected had he not told me. It's one of those things that doesn't manifest itself outwardly, mainly due to the high pain tolerance this person has. He talked about how serious an issue it is, even to the point of life-threatening.

Another friend shared about a mutual friend who is going through some rough times shortly after turning to Christ in repentance. This friend is feeling the full force of the Enemy's efforts to derail his newfound faith; he's hanging on by a thread. Another friend, after a similar commitment of his life to Christ, slipped back into his old ways and fell afoul of the law.

Still another is going through a nasty divorce, and had been doing pretty well up until about three weeks ago, when the stress of it all got to him, and he started backing away from the support of his Christian brothers in spite of their efforts to stand by him.

The list of similar situations could be nearly endless. I talk with some of them; others have walled themselves off, leaving me with but one recourse: prayer. I don't save prayer as a last resort for those situations I can't seem to solve myself; when it comes to people, I've learned that there is precious little I can do for people other than to love and pray for them. My words of wisdom have fallen on deaf ears more times than I can count. I still speak with people, but I know that it is only the power of the Holy Spirit that can change people, and only the strong grip of God himself that can hold onto them.

So in addition to talking with those I can, I talk to God about them, trusting that God stores them up till they reach a tipping point that enables his grace to overflow into their lives. Sometimes I see it happen; sometimes I don't, but prayer is the one thing I can do for people no matter what. I am thankful that I am not reduced to mere fretting or forgetting. And God is not reduced at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment