Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Most Unusual, Ordinary Day

March 28, 2015

I can't remember the last time I had a whole Saturday that was open for whatever I wanted (or didn't want) to do. It was an off week for having the grandkids over, and we had no engagements scheduled. I hardly knew what to do, so I started out with breakfast with Linda, followed by reading my Bible and prayer. Linda's been patient with the baseboard project in the bathroom, so I tackled that. It was a tricky project; when we remodeled the upstairs, the fellow who did our drywall talked me into using aluminum studs to frame the bathroom and bedroom, and their closets. Aluminum studs are easier to install, so the project moves along more quickly. The one thing he didn't tell me and I didn't think of was how I was going to fasten the baseboard.

The drywall goes up, as we used to say, slicker'n snot on a doorknob. It screws right into place. But baseboard is nailed in place, not screwed, and with aluminum girders, there's nothing to drive a nail into. Some enterprising individual apparently thought of this predicament and invented a screw with a tiny head. Most of it I installed with construction adhesive, but there were a couple spots where the walls were't quite as straight as I'd have liked, so I had to screw them to keep the baseboard from springing away from the wall.

Well, that was somewhat of a digression. I finished the project, then did something I've not done before. I practiced my bass, then my bassoon. Two instruments in the same day, without even a hint of stress from a schedule that has too much packed into the day. There's nothing earthshaking about any of this. Far more significant events are unfolding all around the world, but for this one bright sunshiny day, an empty spot on my calendar was a gift of grace for which I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment