Sunday, December 10, 2023

Supper Time

 December 10, 2023

It’s after five on a Sunday evening; I’m sitting in my chair by the fire trying to remember what pastor Joe preached about this morning. I remember that he preached well; he was engaging, passionate, and spoke from the Scriptures. But without looking at the notes I took, I just can’t recall what he said. 


It’s no reflection on Joe. When I was actively preaching, I often couldn’t remember on Monday what I had said the previous Sunday. The way thoughts slip away from me, sometimes I think the inside of my head is teflon coated and sprayed with WD-40. And it’s not just sermons. I couldn’t tell you what I had for dinner the night before last, or for the entire past week. If I were being interrogated regarding a crime, I’d be in really hot water: 


Detective: “Where were you at 4:30 pm last Tuesday?” 

Me: “I can’t remember.” 

Detective: “Can anyone verify your whereabouts?”

Me: “I don’t know if anyone was with me, or not.”

Detective: “Read him his rights.”


Like I said, I don’t remember much. I repeat names over and over to myself, but when I see the person again, I can only hope my face doesn’t appear as blank as my mind. But when it comes to sermons and meals, I’m not sure remembering is the important part. Week after week, I listen to a sermon and am spiritually fed. Day after day, I read my Bible and am spiritually fed. Day after day, I eat what Linda sets before me, and my body is fed. I don’t remember the specifics of the meals, whether it is Linda who sets the table, or pastor Joe, or the Holy Spirit. I am fed, and I know that if I neglect sitting at the table, my body—or my spirit will begin to wither and weaken till I am unable to handle even the most basic activities of life.


Don’t worry if you can’t remember. Don’t let your forgetfulness keep you from the table. Go to church, read your Bible, sit at the Table of the Lord. Even if you forget what you ate, you will be better for having sat with Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment