Thursday, December 28, 2023

Abiding and Obeying

 December 28, 2023

For months now I’ve been intrigued by Jesus’ words in John 15:3 where he commands us to abide in him.” These words aren’t new to me; I’ve read them since my teenage years, but recently, they’ve made me think in ways I haven’t done before. I’ve written before about what it means to “abide.” My abode is where I want to be when I don’t have to be anywhere else. Jesus wants to be where we land in our thoughts and affections when our minds don’t have to be occupied by other things. This has been challenging, especially when it comes to social media. 


Researchers are now saying that social media is as addictive as many drugs; that people experience withdrawals if they are forced to live without their phones, tablets, or laptops. I understand. When my phone and iPad were stolen last June, I often found myself reaching for my phone when there was some down time. I’m working on it, and fortunately, the Holy Spirit isn’t shy about nudging me. Neither is my wife.


This morning as I was reading from one of John’s letters, I came across this: 


”Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.“

—I John 2:3, 5-6 


In short, abiding in Christ means obeying his commandments. But if it means no more than this, we have nothing more, nothing less than legalism whereby we are trying to earn our way into God’s favor instead of believing we already have it because of the death of Jesus Christ for our sins. Abiding in Christ is more than obeying; it is what enables us to obey. I’ve been learning as never before that as I have sought to consciously be aware of God at all times, I am more aware of Jesus’ commands; for starters, love one another, bless those who curse you, give thanks in all things, be holy as he is holy, seek first the kingdom of God. 


I wish I had learned these lessons earlier in my life, but am glad God doesn’t discriminate due to age. He’s not done with me yet. Or with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment