Thursday, October 22, 2020

Sleep in Heavenly Peace

 October 22, 2020


“There are many who say, “Who will show us any good?”


I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.”

—Psalm 4:6, 8 NKJV


It was my first day back at our Thursday morning men’s prayer group. I can’t say I was overjoyed when the alarm rang at 5:00 am; one of the pleasures of retirement is waking up with the sun instead of the alarm. I made the commitment, so I dragged myself out of bed. It’s amazing how often when we force ourselves to do something to which we’ve committed that it comes back as a blessing. We live in a society that eschews commitments; people “live together” instead of getting married, and too often when they do marry, it founders on the first rocky shore it encounters. When I was pastoring, couples would occasionally come for marriage counseling. Actually, they usually came for divorce counseling, having already made up their minds, and simply wanting the Church’s blessing on the decision. The couple would sit before me, and inevitably one or the other would say something like, “We’re just too incompatible,” at which point I had to exercise restraint to keep from laughing out loud.


“Incompatible, you say? Of COURSE you’re incompatible! One of you is male and the other is female! Add to that all the other differences in upraising, experiences, personality; incompatibility is the name of the game in marriage.” If incompatibility were the death-knell of marriage, Linda and I would have buried it decades ago. She is gregarious; I am introverted. She played basketball in college; I played the bassoon. If she can’t sleep at night, she wants the TV on; she says the sound lulls her to sleep, but it has to be conversation, not music. I want it dark and quiet at night. She hates to travel; I love seeing new places. You get the picture. In spite of our differences, we made a commitment over fifty years ago, and we are two people who refuse to go back on our word.


So I went to prayer meeting this morning and listened to the Psalm that launched our prayers. “Who will show us any good?” Lots of  people are asking that question these days. COVID, rioting in the cities, a rancorous election. People are afraid. It doesn’t matter which side of the political aisle you’re on; each side seems to believe If the other side wins, it’s all over. Where can good be found? It’s enough to keep one awake at night. Except...


“I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.” When we know the Lord and his care for us, we can lie down in peace and sleep contentedly. If my hopes were pinned to this world, it would be no wonder if I were a nervous wreck. This world is a mess! We were used to things being stable and secure, and suddenly, everything we counted on seems to have broken loose from their moorings. The only anchor that holds is Jesus Christ, even as Hebrews 6:19 says, “We have an anchor for the soul,” it’s Jesus, who is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” 


It was worth hearing the alarm at 5:00 am this morning. Because of it, I heard this encouraging word, and tonight will both lie down in peace, and sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment