Sunday, October 18, 2020

Grace in God’s Sight

 October 18, 2020


This morning’s sermon was taken from Exodus 33:12-14.


“Then Moses said to the LORD, “See, You say to me, ‘Bring up this people.’ But You have not let me know whom You will send with me. Yet You have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight.’ Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people.” 


And He said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.””


Moses realized the enormity of the task he had been given; he knew he needed help, and wanted a partner to share the burden. Then he challenges the Almighty God: “You have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight,’ adding essentially, “If this is true, show me your way, that I may know you...and that I may find grace in your sight.” Here’s what’s happening: God had assured Moses that he looked on him with grace, and now Moses is asking for confirmation of that statement, i.e., “You said thus and so; give me some evidence that you’re telling me the truth,” even telling God what it is that he considers to be adequate proof. 


What he wants is pretty specific: “Show me your way...that I may know you.” The point is pretty clear: if we want to know God, we must know (and follow) his way. The knowledge of God is not abstract, academic, or theoretical. It is very pragmatic: we know God by knowing and following his ways. 


The conversation between Moses and God continues:


“Then he said to Him, “If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here. For how then will it be known that Your people and I have found grace in Your sight, except You go with us? So we shall be separate, Your people and I, from all the people who are upon the face of the earth.” So the LORD said to Moses, “I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name.” And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.”” —Exodus 33:15-18 NKJV


If you haven’t noticed yet, the phrase “found grace in [God’s] sight” occurs four times in these few verses. Grace is central not only to the task God gave to Moses, but also to be able to know God, experience his presence, see his glory, and receive the rest. There is nothing I can do to orchestrate God’s work in us. It is by grace alone; the only thing I can do is to walk in the way he has shown me. I may not feel his presence; I may not think I’ve experienced his glory; I may not even feel very rested, but if I follow his ways as given in Scripture, God’s Word is true: by grace, God is with me and I know him. For that, I give thanks tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment