Sunday, October 25, 2020

Giants

 October 25, 2020


Whenever I get to feeling a bit proud of my accomplishments, God has a way of bringing me back to earth. This morning at the close of worship, we toured our new Christian ed and family life center. It’s still under construction; completion isn’t expected till sometime in March, and I’m sure there will be much left to do tidying up loose ends, but standing on the concrete floor in what will be the gymnasium, I was taken back nineteen years to the morning we stood on the concrete in what is our present sanctuary, giving thanks for our new worship center that offered so many ministry possibilities that had been impossible in the old building. 


I talked with pastor Joe about it. This is a far bigger project, far more complex, and being undertaken in the midst of a pandemic that has taken its toll on attendance and giving. I applaud him, not just because it’s pastor appreciation month, but for the skill with which he has led us through these times. I took on a big project nineteen years ago, but it pales in comparison to what we are doing today.


This evening, I received sets of photos from two different ministries that Linda and I have supported for years. The first was from Tsoogi and Tsengel, keeping me updated on their evangelistic efforts in Mongolia. Tsoogi has logged some 12,000 kilometers traveling to different provinces, sharing the Gospel in remote places, meeting with families and with larger groups to tell them of the love of Christ. Over the last three years, over 10,000 people have heard the Gospel; this year alone, he has organized a team of 38 people who have visited 850 homes, shared the Gospel with 1784 people, with 290 receiving Christ as Savior and Lord. Unless you have been to Mongolia yourself, it would be hard to understand what a massive undertaking this is. When they travel cross-country, it is literally that—often with no roads, over steppes and through desert sandstorms to tell their countrymen about Jesus.


We had the privilege of working with Tsoogi and Tsengel in 2003 and 2004, and have supported their ministry in the years since. If ever I get to feeling a bit smug over my accomplishments, I remember Tsoogi. He has led more people to Christ in the past year than I have in the past forty.


The other set of photos was of my friend pastor Daniel Ibaceta in Cuba, baptizing three people who have come to Christ under his ministry. Our Cuban brothers and sisters labor in circumstances we are only beginning to understand. The shortages and empty shelves we experienced a couple months ago were everyday occurrences in Cuba even before the pandemic; since then, it’s gotten even worse. And yet, the Gospel is being preached, and people are coming to Christ. 


Whenever I have visited places like Cuba and Mongolia, I am humbled by their faith and faithfulness, often wondering what I could have to offer. They have expressed gratitude for the teaching I have brought, but they have it backwards: they should be teaching me. I am so grateful for my faithful brothers and sisters in Christ who labor largely unknown, in great difficulties, but also great joy. They are my heroes, as are my pastor here. I am surrounded by spiritual giants who call me to be better than I am, and I am thankful for them tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment