Sunday, September 30, 2018

Just Do It

September 30, 2018

“You do some things just because it’s the right thing to do.” Linda has drilled this into our kids from the time they were small. My mother’s version as I was growing up was, “You keep your first commitment even if something better comes along.” 

It had been another full Sunday. Part of Park’s worship service before heading north to Dunkirk, followed by family dinner and cleanup. My hip was stabbing me, so after spending most of yesterday and three hours this morning on my feet, I was ready to put my feet up. I lay down on the couch and promptly fell asleep, something that rarely happens around here. I didn’t feel like going anywhere or doing anything the rest of the day, but at 5:00 I was scheduled to teach bass at our SOTA (School Of The Arts), so 4:30 found me lugging amps to the classroom and getting the tables pushed to one end of the room. I didn’t feel like being there, but Linda’s and my mother’s words were ringing in my ears.


So I went. The lessons went well and after my lesson time, I had the opportunity to help one of the other class leaders. I didn’t notice my aching hip until after I got home. Teaching tonight was the right thing to do, even if I didn’t feel like being there at first. Linda and mom would be thankful tonight that I listened to them. I’m pretty glad I did, too. A sports ad some years ago put it succinctly: “Just Do It!” I’m thankful I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment