Saturday, September 1, 2018

Idols We Love

September 1, 2018

““Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their hearts, and put before them that which causes them to stumble into iniquity. Should I let Myself be inquired of at all by them?” —Ezekiel 14:3 NKJV

I stand guilty before the Lord, convicted by these words. God is speaking to Ezekiel about the leaders of the people who have spoken in the name of the Lord when God had not actually spoken to them. It’s around 8:00 pm as I write. Just a few minutes ago Linda and I were talking, and I told her how I dread tomorrow morning. If it were merely a matter of giving a speech, I wouldn’t give it a second thought, but I have to present the Gospel, and do it in such a way that the Word of God intersects their lives in this world. This is not mere intellectual exercise; if the Message is separated from the messenger, it becomes just so much jangling and noise. I must preach to me before I preach to anyone else, and I know as no one else does, the depths of my own heart. 

Tonight is the time for idol-smashing. It is never easy, for we love the false gods we worship. It requires a deliberate and ruthless honesty, which is always painful. In our garden, some weeds pull up easily; others cling steadfastly to the soil, their roots deep and intertwined with the good plants. The garden of the heart is much the same, and it takes great effort to pull those weeds which are not only unfruitful, but which choke the good seed of God’s Word. 

It is weeding time. As hard as it is, I am grateful for it. A wise pastor once said that he believed that most of us preach to save our own souls. I know I do. Salvation comes as the Word does its work tonight. If it did not, it could not do its work tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment