Sunday, September 9, 2018

Small Blessings

September 9, 2018

There is much for which to give thanks tonight. Blessings abound, both spiritual and temporal, great and small. It is the latter that occupies my thoughts tonight. Yesterday morning while adjusting the stove in our back room, something popped in my left ankle, and I’ve been hobbling around painfully ever since. I was wondering how I would get through preaching today, standing for over an hour at a time, but God was looking out for me even before this all happened. 

A month ago, Linda and I took the family to Lancaster, PA, to the Sight and Sound theater. The morning of the production, when the women wanted to spend some time at the outlet mall just down the road, Linda asked if I wanted to go along with them. I figured I could read while they walked around, so I agreed. I dropped them off in front of the stores they wanted to visit, but when I parked the car, I noticed that the Rockwell store had a going out of business sale where everything was 70% off. I came out with five pairs of shoes, telling the cashier that I probably wouldn’t have to ever buy a pair of shoes again.


This morning, I slipped my sore foot into one of those pairs of shoes, and for the next five hours, I was painlessly on my feet almost continuously. I’ve always believed in buying good shoes, and today reinforced that belief. I’m not ready to go out dancing, but I am getting around much better than yesterday’s experience would have indicated, which makes me thankful. It’s a small blessing, not much in the grand scheme of things, but I’m thankful nonetheless. When counting your blessings, don’t despise the little things; there are lots of them, and they add up. Who knows? They might even offset all the negativity that comes your way through the ever-present media. That would be BIG reason for thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment