Thursday, May 17, 2018

Weeds

May 17, 2018

A particularly obnoxious weed made its appearance around here last year; at least, that’s the first time I noticed it. It’s actually quite pretty, with a delicate leaf spray spaced evenly along the stem. This stuff grows like ivy, except much faster, and would make a good ground cover if it didn’t engulf everything in its path. That’s how we know it’s a weed; if it grows on its own, needing no help from us, it’s a weed. It got a head start on me last year before I realized what it was and how quickly it grows. 

This year, we’ve been on top of it, but it’s a never-ending battle. As I was pulling...and pulling...and pulling today, the story of Adam’s sin popped into my mind. His punishment, and ours, is recorded as, 

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground...”


Our actions have consequences, many of which don’t appear on the surface to have any connection to each other. Old Adam ate the apple, and I pull weeds. I wonder what my children and grandchildren will have to endure because of sinful choices I made? I hope they will have blessings to enjoy because of good choices I made. Either way, my choices don’t stop with me. It’s good that they don’t; extended and unintended consequences aren’t God’s punishment; they are his gift that keeps me looking at a horizon that includes more than me. For that, and for weedy reminders, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment