Sunday, May 27, 2018

Harmony

May 27, 2018

The Everly Brothers had it. So did the BeeGees and the Andrew sisters, and lately, Willie Nelson and his grandson Lucas. I know...I’m dating myself and revealing my musical preferences, but it’s true; there’s something special about the timbre of harmonies sung by members of the same family. This morning in worship, we had the privilege of hearing our son Nathan, Alex and Abi, (two of his daughters), along with their friend Katie Meadows, as they sang four part harmony. Periodically, I stopped singing just to listen to the interweaving of their voices. It was glorious! 

I was never much of an athlete. As in “not at all.” There are times I wished I had done more athletically. I liked the gymnastic apparatus and did pretty well on it in gym class, but never pursued it. Music however, was where I was in my element even though I was more of a second-string team player than a star. I ended up playing bassoon because I wasn’t good enough on saxophone to maintain my spot in the concert band. As I’ve said many times, I am living proof that one doesn’t have to be a good musician to be a good music lover.


I’m at the age when most sports are pretty much out of the question for me. I say that in ignorance, because I can’t say I’ve tried most sports. Maybe I’m just making excuses. Even if I am, one thing I know: music is still a big part of my life. I love playing my bass, and for my birthday, I would love it if we could get all the family singers and instrumentalists together just to harmonize with each other (hint, hint). It would be even better if we were able to record harmonies on some of the songs I have written. Even if that never happens, I am thankful tonight for the harmonies I heard this morning. If that is a foretaste of heaven, it’s going to be over the top wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment