Friday, May 4, 2018

Enough Life

May 4, 2018

The tire went on more easily than yesterday’s. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe I just figured out the process, but with two tire irons, a ratcheting bead stretcher, some slippery dish soap and elbow grease, it popped right on. That’s the good news. Unfortunately, in the process, I noticed that the brake shoes were down to the rivets. Replacement isn’t optional unless I want to also end up replacing the drum as well, an expensive prospect I don’t relish. Unfortunately as well, the replacement babbet I had sitting in a box on the shelf isn’t drilled for rivets; it needs bonding, which I’m not sure I can do. So, a call to the Holopaw Ural dealer in Florida will ensure a new set of brakes in the mail on Monday. Until then, if I want to ride, I’ll need to take the brake off the sidecar and put it on the drive wheel. 

I write all that to say I don’t understand boredom. I would need a dozen lifetimes to accomplish everything I would like to do. If it’s not working on or riding my bike, it’s yard work, furniture refinishing, reading any of the scores of books stashed in boxes in the garage, practicing my bass, writing or editing my writings, spending time with Linda and the family, ministry, mission work, hunting, fishing, target shooting, traveling...the list goes on, and so far, it only includes some of the things I’m already doing. I haven’t even touched on things I haven’t even tried that interest me.


I’m pushing 70, and know I don’t have as many years ahead of me as are behind me, but my interest in life is undiminished. I’m enthusiastic about the opportunities and possibilities before me in Dunkirk, and enjoy my friendships with people all over the world. God has set a whole world before us to enjoy, and has given us a commission to make disciples everywhere we go. There is enough work to keep us busy for life, and enough life to fill our days with joy. Frustrations and obstacles are a part of the territory, but the ultimate victory that is ours in Christ is not just for some future time; it is a daily gift. For that, I am thankful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment