Thursday, May 24, 2018

Lost and (Not) Found

May 24, 2018

At least it’s not catastrophic. Even though it is my favorite, I have others I can use. After our men’s Bible study Monday night, I put it in the sidecar of my bike and drove home. That was the last time I remember seeing my Spanish/English Bible. It’s all marked up with notes and cross references, so misplacing it is like losing an old friend. The Bible apps on my phone don’t quite cut it; I like seeing Scripture in relation to surrounding verses, which doesn’t happen on the phone. Apps have their place, but actually studying the Bible is not one of them.

Linda and I have looked high and low; every conceivable place I could have left it, to no avail. I’ve misplaced it before, but never this completely. It’s frustrating not being able to just pick it up when I want it. Years ago when I was a teenager, we were encouraged to memorize verses. “After all,” my Sunday School teachers reasoned, “What if your Bible were taken away? What if the only Bible you had were what you memorized?” I’ve never been very good at memorization, but tonight, I wish I had paid more attention to the wisdom my teachers tried to impart to us. 


As I said, it’s not catastrophic. It’s been three days, so even though it’s not ideal, I’m thankful that I have other Bibles I can use. Many believers around the world don’t even have one, while I can probably lay my hand on a dozen or more. I am blessed beyond measure, and will have to take to heart the admonition of Psalm 119:11, hiding God’s Word in my heart so it will be available to me even if I can’t hold it in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment