Sunday, May 20, 2018

Transitions

May 20, 2018

The four of us met for lunch to talk about the future that was looming ahead of us. Us four pastors had been in our respective churches for thirty or more years and were anticipating retirement; two Methodists, a Baptist, and a Congregationalist. Transitions are rarely easy, and thirty years of fruitful ministry doesn’t make it any easier. I was the first to go, followed by the other Methodist and the Baptist. Last month, the Congregationalist announced to his congregation his decision to retire, and arranged a series of meetings with those of us who have already walked that road. Tonight was my turn.


Pastor Joe and I had already put together a seminar on successfully navigating transition, so I had the basis for our evening’s conversation. We had a good time together, and it turned out that my observations mirrored those of the other two pastors who had already met with them. I am grateful to have been able to use my experiences to help others who will be going through similar situations. God doesn’t waste anything. He can even use my retirement to help others make a smooth transition to the future he has waiting for them in Jesus Christ. For that, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment