Wednesday, May 16, 2018

God’s Calling

May 16, 2018

One of the hallmarks of the Protestant Reformation was the doctrine of the priesthood of all believers. Among other things, this means that God’s revelation is not limited to the professional clergy. Too often, I’ve witnessed pastors come into a new congregation either by call or appointment, and announce that they have a new direction or program that they expect the people to follow. With each new pastor, congregations carom from one program to another, with little or no long term direction for ministry.

I’ve believed in the priesthood of all believers since I first learned of it as a new Christian, but for years, I listened to the ecclesiastical leadership gurus who presented a variety of programs and initiatives touted to be the end-all for successful church leadership. Many of them were very good, most were even helpful, but the one thing they had in common was the underlying assumption that it is the pastor’s job to “cast the vision” for the people to follow.

But if the priesthood of all believers means anything at all, it must mean that God speaks to all his people, not just the leaders. Which means that the task of the leader is to listen to the people and help them recognize what God’s voice sounds like. God is speaking, but often the people don’t know it because they’ve not been taught how to listen. My job as pastor is to interpret to them what God has been saying. If I get it right, they say, “Yeah; that’s it!” If I get it wrong, they say, “Nah; not so much.”


Sometimes God calls people to special service, but they don’t recognize it. Sometimes people think God is calling them when he is not. Part of my job is helping people navigate these waters. Today I had the privilege of praying with pastors from other traditions who shared how they help people discern God’s leading, followed by conversations with two people, one of whom is beginning to recognize God’s call, and needs to navigate what that means; the other, who was surprised to hear that I sense God’s call in his life. It’s not my job to tell them what is God’s will; it is my job to help them see it for themselves. It’s also a great privilege, for which I am thankful today.

No comments:

Post a Comment