Monday, August 3, 2015

You Can't Fix Stupid

August 3, 2015

"Not yet." That was what the physical therapist told me when I asked how soon I can resume my workout routine. It turns out that not wearing the proper footwear (as in none at all) while working out is the proximate cause of my plantar fasciitis. In other words, it is my own fault, as is most of the trouble I get myself into. Things I could get away with at twenty...not so much at 66. Things went pretty well for the years I was using the Total Gym, but I didn't believe I was getting the workout I wanted, so over a year ago I bought the T25 DVD set. Twenty-five minutes a day that made me sweat like I never had done with the machine; it pushed me to go deep.

But about two months ago, my right foot started hurting. It got to the point where even the pressure on the heel from pushing on the gas pedal of the car was almost unbearable. Three trips to a podiatrist, some new shoes and arch supports made a huge difference, but then a seminar on foot problems offered a free consultation (of course, with the goal of gaining new customers) that led to my appointment this morning and for some mornings to come. But no workouts yet. I'm looking forward to getting back into the routine, and am grateful for the professionals who can diagnose and treat my foot. Now if someone could do the same for my stupidity, I'd be golden!

No comments:

Post a Comment