Sunday, August 2, 2015

Tingly Legs

August 2, 2015

It is a strange day indeed, when it has been so busy that I haven't taken time to give thanks. Yesterday, two funerals and a graduation party filled the time from breakfast till nearly dark. We never made it to the family reunion. This morning, worship, another memorial service, family and friends at the house till five thirty, then with Linda's sisters till after 8:00. I am "peopled out." Even Linda who thrives on people is feeling the strain. Oddly enough, it's not the people, but at the risk of sounding like a cranky old man griping about his gout, it's the strange tingly feeling in my legs and the throbbing down my neck and right arm that is pushing me to the edge. Normally, I brush off going to the doctor, but I'm actually looking forward to the two appointments I have tomorrow. Something is apparently out of place in my neck or back, and I'm eager to have it put right.

So in advance, I'm thankful for chiropractors and physical therapists who ply their trade with skill. I've not made a habit of giving them my business, having been twisted and jerked around by one or two who despite their pleasant demeanor seem to harbor hidden sadistic tendencies. A couple weeks ago our granddaughter Alex had a bug bite that was nothing here in the States, but which quickly became infected with African pathogens when she took up residence in Uganda. It was a mildly harrowing experience for her, and for us, knowing that medical service there was not quite to the standards we're used to. She's OK, but the experience drove home for us how we've come to expect a level of care that is unheard of in most of the world. Prayers for healing take on new and heightened meaning where medical assistance is lacking.

So even though I've not thought of it through the day, as my body sabotages my struggle to get to sleep tonight, I am grateful that in the morning I have these appointments and the hope that all shall be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment