Monday, August 31, 2015

Bad Day, Good Day

August 31, 2015

You'll know what kind of day it was when I say that I'm thankful to have filled the new tractor without spilling any fuel. Yeah, that was the best part of the day. We went to see Alex, but don't know any more about her condition than we did last week. As soon as her antibiotic wears off, her temperature spikes, so she's still in the hospital and we're here praying. When we got home, I figured I could use the time before men's group to open up the entry room doorway preparatory to installing a new front door. It's a good thing I did; the water that had been occasionally seeping in had rotted the backing for the siding and the trim boards. Needing to replace the door turned out to be a good thing. The fact that the opening isn't standard isn't. The door I bought has to go back and I'll need to special order one to fit. I can't lower the threshold because the door wouldn't clear the floor, and I can't raise the header without tearing out the entire inside wall covering. Not gonna happen. So, a new door it is.

It's replacing the tile that cracked that was the final straw. I have three tiles left, and need at least two to finish the floor by the door. It's going to be tight, and a bit ticklish to get the broken one out without damaging its neighbors. But I got the tractor filled without spilling any diesel!

If the worst things that ever happen in my life are a special order door and replacing a broken tile, I am a blessed man indeed. Alex will get better. We don't know any of the details, but we are trusting our God for her healing. All this other stuff pales by comparison to the well-being of those we love. Tonight when I arrived at men's group, a list of prayer requests was waiting on the table. It included prayer requests for people battling life-threatening illness, addictions, families torn apart by divorce, and such like. That's what really matters. I am grateful for the perspective these prayer lists give me, and for the privilege of being on the praying side of things. Doors and tile are nothing. It's the people who matter...to God, and to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment