Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Dedication or Devotion?

August 26, 2015

This morning I read an article that highlighted the difference between dedication and devotion, a distinction I hadn't before noticed. The author said, "My dedication is a lot more about whatever it is that I am doing to demonstrate my commitment than it is about the thing or person to whom I am supposedly dedicated...The Christian faith is not about increasing one’s dedication. It’s about undivided devotion; abandoning oneself to God in Love. Dedication is about self. Devotion is about the other." This made me wonder how often I've dedicated myself to Christ's mission, to the church, to my wife and kids; but how often have I devoted myself to the same? How often have I gritted my spiritual teeth, dug in and tried harder instead of just loving God or my family?

The end result may not look much different, but what is happening is vastly different. Dedication deals with me; my effort, my determination, my desires, while devotion ignores the self in its absorption in the other. Love calls for devotion, not dedication. Dedication is a lot more work, and sees the sacrifice. Devotion is almost effortless, and sacrifices unselfconsciously. I wish I had learned this years ago, but am grateful that the lessons keep coming, even in retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment