Thursday, August 27, 2015

Hotter Than...

August 27, 2015

The heat is almost oppressive, but I have to admit it's my own fault. We have a guest camped out in the back room, swathed in blankets and comforters, shivering with fever. Nate and Deb are at visitation for her uncle who passed away the other day and didn't wan't Alex to be alone for the evening, so she's been here with us. The Millstone Room is furthest from the furnace, so even with the thermostat set at 72, it stays cool. Thus the fire I built in the stove. Yeah, it's hot in here.

I was the one who made the offer to have her here, but Linda is the one who does most of the work, checking Al's temperature, making sure she has what she needs while I was working on the entry room tile. My gratitude tonight is simple. I'm thankful to live near enough that Alex could come stay with us while she's sick; I'm thankful to have a house with a wood stove so we could heat the room without turning the entire house into a sauna, and I am thankful for my wife whose love and tenderness towards our grandchildren has no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment