Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Reflections of God in a Bathtub Surround

September 17, 2014

Holy Scripture repeatedly affirms that we humans are made in God's image, but is strangely silent as to exactly what that means. Most certainly, it has to do with our ability to reason, our moral sensibilities, and our spiritual nature, but I believe it also encompasses our ability to love...and hate. It is interesting to me that in the Genesis record, following immediately upon the declaration that we are made in God's image, God gives us the task of acting in his stead to care for Creation. Creation...it's a fascinating word. It hints at the imagination that brings into being that which had no prior existence. God imagined colors, stars that produced energy, atoms, galaxies, life, spoke, and they came into existence. Look around; whatever God created was done with excellence. The intricacy of molecular structure, the miracle of sight, the impulses of the nervous system, and the amazing capacity of the human brain, are all indications of creativity par excellence.

Downstairs tonight, thinset mortar hardens, permanently affixing the tile I have set in the tub surround to the mortarboard behind it. Instead of a mere pattern of stacked tiles, I added a border pattern about two thirds up from the tub, and finished it off with some simple edge pieces. I'm no mason, but I've done the best I know how, and am pleased with the result. Lord willing, tomorrow I'll grout it, and then comes the ceiling, the rest of the wainscoting, wiring, vanity sink, and cupboards. Do-It-Yourself jobs give me a real appreciation for those who are really good at their work. It wouldn't take much examination to see the mistakes I've made, tiles that don't line up exactly right, but I like the creative process, partly I believe, because it is a direct connection with God himself.

Whenever anyone does his or her work with excellence, creating something of beauty and purpose, we partake in the very work of God. Today, I was God's mind, God's hands, as I spread mortar and set tiles in place. So also tonight, when I sat down with a friend to listen as he talked about some of the life challenges he is facing. Tomorrow, I'll again work in God's stead, creating beauty and function as I grout the tile, and maybe even as I practice my bass. But for tonight, I am content and thankful to have participated in holy work with dirty hands and a joyful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment