Thursday, September 4, 2014

April and December

September 4, 2014

Life...What a wonderful, intriguing, mysterious, exuberant, terrifying, dangerous, fragile gift! I made it home from the retirees' retreat just in time to grab a bite to eat and head out to our granddaughters' swim meet, where Alex took first place in diving (Woo Hoo!). It was an interesting contrast. To be honest, I was a bit shocked when I first arrived at the retreat. Some of the folks there I hadn't seen in years, and the years have taken their toll. I saw nearly as many walkers as in a nursing home, but I also saw kindness, faithfulness, grace, and love, in action. Some of these retired pastors had been in ministry for fifty or sixty (!) years. It was hard for some of them to get around, but the bond that had formed over the years was important enough to them that some made special trips from retirement homes in Florida and elsewhere just to see old colleagues once more. The ones who moved with difficulty were graciously and patiently assisted by those a bit younger and more agile. There was laughter, worship, and conversation around tables, all of it permeated by bonds formed through decades of common ministry.

I remember most of these same folks in their prime, when they debated on the Conference floor and when they renewed their covenant with each other in the worship that initiated each Annual Conference, and in the annual ordination services. They were my heroes, the ones to whom I looked as examples of what it meant to be a pastor. My ministry life took a bit different turn than most of theirs, in that I have had the privilege of remaining in one community for over 30 years, where most of them received anywhere from half dozen to a dozen appointments over the course of their ministry careers. For them, the only real stable and continuous friendships they had were with each other. As a result, the bonds grew tight; the love deep. That love remains strong and vibrant even to this day, evidenced by their determination to attend the retreat in spite of the challenges of their years and infirmities. Their faithfulness and steadfastness over a lifetime of ministry is powerful testimony to the work of Christ in them. I was humbled to be in their presence, even more so to lead worship with them this morning.

Most of the activities were pretty sedate by comparison to what I'm used to, and it gave me pause to consider that in looking at the frailty I saw in some, I could be looking at my future. I hope that if this is so, that future will also include the faith and faithfulness I saw these last two days.

Contrast that with the youthful energy of the girls' swim meet. Lithe young bodies responding to willpower and training, moving through the water with grace, power, and speed. Life is truly a wonderful gift; I observed it today from three perspectives; the older retirees with whom I shared the past two days, my granddaughters' joyful exuberance of youth, and my own existence somewhere in between. I am awed by it all, and grateful for this amazing gift of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment