Monday, September 1, 2014

End of Summer Reflections

September 1, 2014

When putting things away after the Bailey Labor Day Picnic at Matt and Jeanine's, I tossed the lawn chairs into the trunk of Linda's car and thought, "That's the last day we'll use those." It may not be true, but Labor Day traditionally marks the end of the American summer. Wednesday, the kids head back to school and the cycle starts all over again. Although the calendar says the year begins in January, for all intents and practical purposes, it starts when school begins in September.

It's hard to believe the summer went by so quickly (My first inclination was to use the word "fast," but I know my grammarly daughter would see that and be so traumatized that she would be incapable of reading any further). I remember the countdown to July 1 and my retirement; it seemed like everything picked up speed, and it hasn't stopped. Other than our annual Canada trip, we didn't have any big plans that took weeks on end, but here we are in September, looking back and wondering what happened.

Fall doesn't look like it will slow down much, either. I have a speaking engagement this week, a wedding to officiate in two weeks, another to attend (long distance), a couple weekend ministry opportunities, two preaching engagements, a mother to move into a new apartment, New Horizons Band rehearsals, alongside all the school activities of the grandkids. One of the things I like about retirement is that I can calmly do all these things that normally would have me in a mild panic; they are no longer add-ons to an already busy work week, and although I am busy throughout the week, it is at my pace.

It's been a good summer, throughout which I have repeatedly counted my blessings with amazement. When I read or watch the news, I become acutely aware of how unusual my life is. The Middle East is aflame, our southern borders are almost nonexistent, Russia continues to rattle sabers in the Ukraine, our national debt continues to escalate, and no one seems to have the backbone or knows what to do about any of it. I often feel like the Hobbits in J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy, who loved nothing more than to sing, dance, drink their beer, and smoke their pipes, totally unaware of the cloud of doom in Mordor that threatened to overwhelm them all. It took a few unlikely but brave souls to answer the call to confront the evil and endure the trials to win the victory. I pray for eyes to see beyond my peaceful existence, that I may be equal to whatever challenges may come my way. I am grateful for the Gospel that makes me aware of both the blessings and the dangers, so I can receive the former and face the latter when they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment